Let's start off with a treat. Nerd Ropes!
The view looking back, driving up out of Zion National Park.
You come out on top... and it's a different world!
We saw these female Bighorn Sheep right across the road!! The boys ran out to get a closer look.
Joe came back very frustrated, and we couldn't figure out why! Finally we found out that he thought I said "Boys, Look!! Big ORANGE Sheep!!"
Needless to say, there were no Big Orange Sheep to be found.
Look! See that line of trees below the top? That is what Stephen's thesis is about! I won't explain here. Email me if you really want to know.
Ah, thank goodness for portable DVD players. Our boys are fantastic travelers anyway, but this sure helps!
Someone hand-painted this mural in the women's bathroom of a little gas station we stopped at. I know it's a lot of pictures, but really! This was beautiful!!
This one is actually inside the stall. WOW!!
Isn't the detail amazing?! See, here I am, discovering everyday wonders. It's what I do!!
The Red Canyon, on the way to Bryce Canyon
Going down into Escalante!
This is a "coffee hut" on the way down into the canyon. It has the most incredible view! It was closed for Sunday, but I can't help wondering how much business they could possibly get??
We stopped at a deserted recreation/camping area to use bathrooms (they flushed!!) and climb on rocks for a few minutes.
I love lichen!
The Geologist in his natural habitat.
This is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. In my WHOLE life!!
It's hard to tell why from this picture, but this stretch of road is nicknamed the "Devil's Backbone", because it is twisty, and the canyon just drops off on either side!! It's a little unnerving to drive...
We stopped at this interesting little place to grab a few things to eat.
I have found Heaven. Driving through these aspen meadows at the top of Mount Boulder... Lucky Cows!!!
It made me think of Scotland, with ASPENS!! I don't think I closed my mouth for about 45 minutes. I said "WOW..." over a dozen times... (you can do that without closing your mouth) My camera just couldn't capture the magic of this place.
We saw real cowboys! Dogs, sleeping rolls, leather jackets and all!! Joe was so excited. He wants to be a cowboy. Later in the trip, while driving through lovely farm towns, he said "Mommy, you could live on a farm!" I told him that wasn't possible, because Dad was going to a new job with an oil company. I told him, "Maybe when we're old, we can live on a farm." He said, "With lots of rocks for Daddy around it!"
Stephen discovered a love of candied ginger!! What a brave boy. :)
One of the best moments of the trip. Stephen and I were laughing and chatting, and we hear a gentle voice from the back seat...
"I would love you to be quiet so I could go to sleep."
HA!!!
This was supposed to be my dinner. Sounds great, right???
So very, very wrong.
We lost him at the south highway exit of Provo. The timing, I tell ya... When we picked Bracken up a little bit later, Joe asked her, "Bracken!! Are you SO exciting???"
Goodbye Utah, we'll miss you!
(Sorry I'm so loud!!)
First follower!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the bathroom stall paintings! It looks like someone tried their hand at the Donna Dewberry style. (I used to watch her show on PBS every Saturday morning while growing up in Vegas. LOVED her.)
That poppy seed muffin looks . . . revolting. Almost as bad a spoiled carrots and rotten eggs. . . .
Okay, maybe just as bad. Worse even?
Your boys are so adorable! I hope I get to meet little Stephen soon!
Also, you're a fabulous photographer. I love all of these photos!
I didn't know you had this page April. What a lovely trip. I greatly enjoyed seeing all of the rock formations and the colours! Hopefully one day I will be able to see them in person. That muffin looks thoroughly disgusting. How sad that they didn't catch it before they sold it. It boggles the mind! I think all your boys are so sweet, even the big one! My daughter in law is doing her masters in archeology at the moment. I bet she would have a lot to say about those "rocks!" Love and hugs! xxoo
ReplyDeleteHow fun! My family used to take road trips all the time when I was a kid. Also, my dad is a geologist, so we used to stop to see cool rocks and formations and he would teach us all about it. It was fun and pretty interesting for me as a little tom-boy style girl.
ReplyDelete